Adding outdoor and landscape lighting to your home and surrounding property has many proven benefits. Outdoor lighting can be used to illuminate specific areas of your yard, a deck or patio for example. Spotlights can be used to highlight features of your home and just give your property a brighter look and feel. Other than adding to your home's curb appeal, outdoor lighting has safety and security benefits as well.
Installing landscape lighting can offer several security benefits to your property. Here are some of the ways landscape lighting can enhance your home security:
- Deters Criminals: Well-lit outdoor areas can be a powerful deterrent to would-be intruders. Criminals tend to avoid well-lit properties as they are more likely to be seen by neighbors, passing cars, or security cameras.
- Increases Visibility: Good outdoor lighting can increase the visibility of your property at night, making it easier for you and your neighbors to detect any suspicious activity. It can also make it easier for you to navigate around your property after dark, reducing the risk of accidents or falls.
- Enhances Surveillance: Landscape lighting can work in conjunction with security cameras to provide better surveillance of your property. When combined with motion sensors, the lights can trigger the cameras to start recording, giving you a better chance of identifying any intruders.
- Illuminates Entryways: Proper lighting can highlight the entrances to your home, such as doors, windows, and gates. This can help to deter intruders from attempting to break in and can also make it easier for you to identify anyone who approaches your home.
- Increases Awareness: Outdoor lighting can also help you be more aware of your surroundings. With a well-lit yard, you can easily spot any potential hazards, such as uneven ground, tripping hazards, or obstacles that could be a danger to your family or guests.
- Motion Detection: Many modern landscape lighting systems have motion detectors that turn on when someone enters the property. This feature alerts homeowners to potential intruders, and can also scare off criminals who are not expecting to be detected.
- Increased Property Value: Outdoor lighting can also increase the value of your property by adding to the overall aesthetic appeal of your home. Well-placed landscape lighting can highlight the beauty of your landscaping and architectural features, making your property more attractive to potential buyers.
- Peace of Mind: Knowing that your property is well-lit and secure can provide peace of mind and reduce anxiety, particularly when you are away from home.
Outdoor lights can add safety to your property in a number of ways. Walkway or path lighting can highlight walking routes to and from your home. This can ensure safety for you and your guests when coming and going. Especially in the winter, when the darkness falls upon us fast, it’s important to be able to see where you’re going and walk with a sure foot. Well-placed path lights can help avoid dangerous trips and falls. Similar to walkway lighting, zone lights can be used to highlight a certain area of your yard. Again, this can avoid any potential hazardous missteps due to lack of visibility.
Just having your home well-lit can provide a sense of security for homeowners, outdoor lighting is an extremely practical security measure. A home that is full of light will disinterest potential trespassers from entering your property. Installing motion-activated spotlights can be effective at scaring away trespassers, if someone is walking through your yard uninvited, a sudden burst of bright light is likely to scare them off. Motion sensors can scare away more than just human trespassers too! Animals use the cover of darkness to prowl your property for leftover food and oftentimes will stumble upon your garbage. Motion-activated lights will shine at the sign of movement and scare any critters away before they get the chance to rummage through your trash and make a mess.
Landscape Lighting can provide you with a stronger sense of safety and security within your own home.